Everyone has a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, so I decided to have a Never Asked Questions (NAQ) page. Here is everything you didn’t want to know about me.
- I’m allergic to chocolate. It’s unfortunate, but I don’t think about it much. The biggest downside is I’ve discovered many dark beers have an element of chocolate, so I have to research the ingredients before downing a cold one. I discovered this after my wife and I visited a microbrewery and I gleefully consumed a dark beer and proceeded to feel sick for three days. Chocolate makes me feel ill, but doesn’t kill me. So don’t get any ideas.
- I have a freakish ability to balance coins on my elbow and then snatch them with the hand that happens to be on the same arm as that elbow before they hit the ground. I’d say I have cat-like reflexes, but I’ve never seen a cat attempt this trick.
- I assisted in the hunt for the D.C. sniper(s) but the only crime I stopped during the assignment involved two teenagers being intimate. I got a certificate for my participation, but my interrupting the sex act wasn’t mentioned.
- I once accidentally gave George H.W. Bush the “guy nod”.
- Gerald Ford once spoke to me in a bath robe. I mean he was wearing the robe. It would have been totally awkward if I would have been.
- I have an irrational dislike of Bette Midler.
- When I was in elementary school, I dug up a worm and entered him into a worm race sponsored by the local library. My worm (George) came in last place. However, I won a free book. I still have the book and have read it to my daughter. Thanks, George.
- When I was a kid, I aspired to be a starting pitcher in the major leagues. It hasn’t happened. Yet.
- I’ve run 10 or 11 half marathons and a slew of shorter races. I was told if I ran a full marathon, I’d be hooked an run a bunch more. I ran a full marathon. I’m not doing that again.
- I have tattoos.
- When I was with the Secret Service, a supervisor once pulled strings to get me on a protective mission to Poland because he knew my in-laws lived there. Once I arrived, I was taken to my Police law enforcement counterparts and asked to translate. Which was surprising to me, since I don’t speak Polish. Apparently, the supervisor had “pulled some strings” by telling someone I would be an asset because of my outstanding linguistic skills.
- I currently work in the Training Division for the U.S. Marshals Service and I’m based at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) on the Georgia coast.
- I first saw Bon Jovi in concert in 1986. They were the opening act for RATT.
- Growing up, I I feared I would never live anywhere but my hometown of Huntington, WV. I’ve been fortunate enough to go on to live in State College, PA, Richmond, VA, Sterling, VA, Gainesville, VA, Pittsburgh, PA, and Savannah, GA.
- I love hard rock and heavy metal music. My favorite bands include Clutch, Chevele, Volbeat, Godsmack, Pop Evil, Highly Suspect, and Nothing More. When I write certain scenes in my novels, I can almost hear a soundtrack of sorts. Usually, the music I hear comes from hardcore bands like these. Or Wham!.